Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Framing & Rule of Thirds

FRAMING - The first two pictures are in-camera frames; however, I had to fool Photo Shop in to thinking that they had been cropped in order to save them in the web version. I set the crop to 6x4 and pulled the cropping lines to the edge of the picture. The framing pictures were taken at a playground near my home.

I am pleased with this picture. I feel it meets all of the criteria that we have learned. (1/100, 5.6, ISO 400)

I had to use flash on this unique picture of my son. I shot this from a level point to him. (1/50, 5.6, ISO 100, flash)

This shows the original picture from my camera. As you can see it needs straightening and is wider than the frame I was putting around Michael.

This is the finished product. I cropped the sides in some and straightened it. (1/125, 5.0, ISO 400)










RULE OF THIRDS - Even though I am a symmetric person by nature, I tried really hard to use the rule of thirds in the following pictures. The first picture of each set is the dead center one.

This is the clock located in the center of campus. For this picture, I used 1/400, 7.1, and an ISO of 200.

For this picture, I moved my position to the clock so I could capture the clock in the right side of the picture. The angle of the roofs above the clock also help to draw attention and frame the clock. (1/400, 5.6, ISO 200)















These next photos were taken of the Catholic church in Harrisville. It was about 5 p.m. in the afternoon, and a storm was looming. (1/6400, 3.5, ISO 800)

This use of the rule of thirds places my subject on the left side starting grid line and shows more depth. (setting were the same)



I thought the placement of my subject in this picture was interesting also,so I decided to post it to show a different angle. (setting were the same)
















This picture is of the walkway up to French Hall from the plaza area on campus. The dead center effect isn't all bad, but the option below gives a better composition in my opinion. (1/80, 11, ISO 200)















I like the angle of this shot and how the slight color in the tree at the end gives it a little pop. (1/100, 11, ISO 200)

No comments:

Post a Comment