Sunday, September 12, 2010

Various Camera Motions

This is one of my most favorite pictures. We have done this type of effect in our studio before, but this time, it was me capturing the shot. Granted my husband's photos didn't have blurry subjects in his, but my son was a little wiggly that day. Your shutter speed has to be so low (mine 1/.8) to stop and blur the water that your subjects can not move at all.

This picture is similar, but it is void of subjects that cause movement.

I thought my daughter's ceiling fan would work as a great blur motion since it is painted in multi-colored paint splatters. Her room is very dark, so I used an ISO of 400 (thought light shinning in picture would help with brightness as well). My shutter was 1/50 and had an f-stop of 8. I tried several settings before I captured this one, which I love by the way - the shadow of the fan blades give it added depth. I ended up turning off my flash to get the blur.

I traveled to an island that we have in our town to capture this photograph. The area is canopied with trees, so it is slightly darker which required a higher ISO for me to reach a fast shutter speed of 1/1000 and low aperture of 3.5. I used a tripod to avoid any shake. I really like this picture.

This was another picture taken on the island. After several attempts to capture my son skipping rocks, we switched to tossing rocks in the water to try to catch the splash. While my family tossed the rocks, I worked the settings and caught this unique photo of the splash and rocks in mid air. This was taken on a tripod with shutter speed of 1/1000, f3.5, and ISO of 800.

This frozen motion was slightly missed as my focus was just behind my son's head. I did catch him in motion, but it is slightly blurred instead of completely frozen. I attempted to guess where he would jump to shoot and then snap the photo. (1/1250, f3.5, ISO 100)

This was my first attempt at panning. My son agreed to help me. In this trial, he ran while dribbling a basketball. I focused on him at the beginning of his run and moved the camera along with him as he ran. When he got in front of me, I snapped the picture. My shutter speed was 1/25 with an f-stop of 20. The sun was quite bright, so I used an ISO of 100. I wasn't sure of the requirements for panning. I think my photo does show motion and part of him (head area) looks clearer than others, but I am not sure if this is how it should be.

I switched to panning while just running and used a shutter of 1/50, f22, and ISO 100. Although there isn't any part of my subject that is clear, I do like the pose that I caught in this picture. The arms and legs show motion with a sense of reality.

This picture is a little different in the capture of panning. It was suggested to me that panning should have the subject in focus with the background blurred to show motion. I decided to try that effect. I used a shutter speed of 1/50, f9, and ISO 100 in Al Servo mode. I focused on Michael at the beginning, and in this particular mode, it continued to refocus on him as I followed him along the path. When I snapped the picture, Michael was more clear than the background.

I tried to rotate the camera in a circle while my son swung his bat in a one-handed circle. I didn't really understand what I was supposed to achieve with the effect of deliberately shaking the camera while exposing, so I am not sure if this was correct or not. I used TV mode with 1/20 shutter speed at f16 with ISO of 100.

In this picture, I also tried to rotate the camera in a circular motion while trying to take a picture of some chimes from beneath them in my mom's house. My mode and shutter speed were the same. I had an f-stop of 5.6 with an ISO 800. When I increased my shutter speed on these, it seemed like a normal picture because even with the rotation of the camera it froze the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment